Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The 2012 Race Starts Now

Based on the latest campaign, apparently it’s never too early to get an edge on the competition. That’s why the 2012 race for The White House starts now.

Looking to outflank his opponents, perennial presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich yesterday announced his candidacy for the Democratic nomination five years hence. At the same time, Mr. Kucinich withdrew from the 2008 race in order to devote his efforts full-time to the upcoming 2012 contest.

"I’m not saying I had no chance this time," said the diminutive former mayor of Cleveland. "But I think I just doubled my odds for 2012 by getting an early start and automatically becoming the frontrunner."

While electing not to withdraw from the current nomination battle, John Edwards nevertheless may decide to announce a 2012 run as well.

"It just makes good political and financial sense," said the former U. S. senator. "I’m not saying I’m going to lose this latest race," said Mr. Edwards. "But if I do, I can just re-up my volunteers for 2012 and rollover any remaining campaign funds into the next contest."

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are both firmly committed to the 2008 fight and are hesitant to openly declare for the 2012 race. But neither is closing the door on the possibility of an early declaration for the next nomination.

"If a week in politics is a lifetime," said Senator Obama. "Then I can’t even imagine what five years is."

"I’d like to keep all my options open," said Senator Clinton. "If there’s one thing I’ve learned over time it’s to never say never. That and to stand by your man."

On the Republican side, the option of an early declaration for 2012 has even more appeal.
"Let’s face it," said Rudy Giuliani. "Whoever gets the Republican nod this time hasn’t got a snowflake’s chance in hell of winning the presidency."

"Ditto," said John McCain. "2012 is looking better and better all the time."

Early reports suggest that Jeb Bush is even considering declaring for the 2016 race.

"I figure after eight years of my brother screwing up, it’s going to take at least that long for Americans to consider voting for someone named Bush again,"said the former Florida governor.

No word yet on Arnold Schwarzenegger’s intentions for the campaign four years after that.
"With all my amazing powers, even I don’t have 20-20 foresight," quipped California’s Governator.

No comments: