Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Goodbye White House

Conversation overheard recently in an oval-shaped office in a large, white house somewhere in Washington, D. C.:

"Mr. President, we need your signature on this latest veto."

"I’m so sick of all this governing stuff and, by the way Dick, you can stop calling me Mr. President. I’m not so sure I even want the job anymore."

"What are you talking about, sir?"

"Karl, just call me George will ya? I’ve had it with all this ‘Mr. President, this’ and ‘Mr. President, that’. I just wanna go back to the ranch."

"Now calm down, George. We’ve been through this before. You’re just a little anxious, that’s all."

"A little anxious? A little anxious? You think so? I’m what you might call a lot anxious, Dick. I wanna get the hell out of here."

"OK. OK. We’ve got a plan, George. We were really hoping you could hold on for the next year and a half. But if you can’t, you can’t."

"So what’s the plan, Dick?"

"Well, I think it’s going to be a mass exodus. Right, Karl?"

"That’s right. It looks like folks are going to be leaving soon in droves. So we figure you just sneak out at the same time and maybe no one will even notice."

"What’re you talking about?"

"Well, it’s like this. A lot of our folks have already left. And more are ready to jump."

"Like who?"

"You’re kidding, right? Paul just left and Alberto is as good as gone."

"So what are you saying?"

"We’re saying, George, that the easiest way out of this fiasco is for everyone to leave at the same time. Pick a date and let’s cut and run."

"But I said we wouldn’t cut and run."

"No, you said the United States wouldn’t cut and run. You never said you wouldn’t cut and run."

"Oh? OK. So what’s the plan?"

"We set a date, a timetable, if you will. Make it a Friday - say June 29th - and we all just pack up and leave."

"We can do that?"

"Sure. Nothing says we can’t."

"But who’ll take over, Dick?"

"Who cares? So long as we don’t have to clean up the mess. Right, Karl?"

"You got it, Dick. If you leave, too, then I think that makes Nancy Pelosi the President. Serves her right for giving us a hard time."

"This is sounding better and better, boys. I can’t wait to get outta here. Any chance we can move the date up even closer?"

"I don’t see why not. In fact, I think the American people might even appreciate that."

No comments: