Thursday, June 07, 2007

Senators In Seven

Can you believe it? The Senators were down three games to one and came back to win the Stanley Cup. At least that’s the way I saw it.

Some of you seem to think they lost game five in Anaheim. You thought you saw Chris Phillips slide the puck off Ray Emery’s skate into his own net for a 3-1 Ducks’ lead.

From my perspective, it never happened. Phillips safely carried the puck out and near the end of the period Alfreddson tied the game on a beautiful shorthanded shot over Giguerre’s shoulder.

You remember that one, right? And that’s how the second period ended, with a 2-2 tie. You may think you recall a period-ending power play goal by Anaheim but I assure you that you’re mistaken.

And who can forget that exciting third period with all that end to end action? And to have Alfreddson score his third goal of the night with only thirty seconds left to win the game 3-2. How sweet was that?

Saturday’s game back home was almost as exciting. Down by one in the third, Fisher breaks in on Giguerre and puts it through the five hole to tie the game in the last minute. And Jason Spezza finally breaks out of his slump and pots the winner in the third overtime period.

I didn’t know what to expect in Monday’s game seven in Anaheim. I was starting to have my doubts but I should have known that the Senators would pull through.

How many of you thought they’d do it in such style? Three goals in each of the three periods for a 9-0 shutout. What a finish to a great season.

Now the Cup is finally back in Canada where it belongs. I don’t know about you but I plan on being downtown tomorrow for the victory parade. Even if I have to celebrate alone. Because that’s the way I saw it.

No comments: